- Vomiting, hiccups, stomach ache --- cinnamon water ,licorice juice, peppermint water
- Urinary problems, fevers – spirits, salts and tinctures like salts of wormwood, vinegar and quicksilver
- To close up a wound, or as a varnish on a violin – Dragon’s blood, the resin made from the agave and rattan palm
- Malaria – quinine bark
- Headache – Chamomile flowers
- Mucus – syrup from vinegar of squills with sugar and honey
- Skin wounds – oil of St. John’s Wort
- Fear of water, bites from serpents, mad dogs, and creeping things – Methridatum – an opiate
- Syphilis – apply poultice made of frogs, “earthworms, viper’s flesh, human fat, wine, grass from northern India, lavender from France, chamomile from Italy, white lead and quicksilver”
- And my personal favorite! Wounds from battle – apply poultice made of “burnt earthworms, dried boar’s brain, pulverized Egyptian mummy, crushed rubies, bear’s fat, and moss from the skull of hanged man which had been collected from the gibbet at moonrise with Venus ascending.”
Winter Tea Party winners: Angela's book,THE SCARLET COAT, will go to: Print copy- Andrea Stephens; e-book copy - Catherine Wight!
LUCY REYNOLDS has a table topper quilt on the way, and winners of the Valentine Ebook Collection are: Deanna Stevens, Caryl Kane, Anne Payne and Winnie Thomas. With thanks to all who joined in!